Saturday 27 September 2008

Members' newsletters

Neath Port Talbot county borough council subsidises constituency newsletters. Councillors may submit content to the member services section, which checks the content amd arranges printing.

Cadoxton constituents may ask why I continue to deliver Focus leaflets, which now contain council news, instead of making use of the council's facilities. Well, firstly, I won election on a platform which included casting a beady eye on council costs. It would be hypocritical of me to dip into a subsidised service when I don't need to.

Secondly, however much the member services department weeds out party political messages, there is inevitably an element of self-promotion in a newsletter for a constituency which goes out over the signature of the sitting member. Why not be totally honest about ones politics, avoid censorship, and provide information at the same time?

So I will continue to put out Focuses as and when I have enough information to fill them, and pay for them out of party funds and my own pocket.

No comments: