Thursday 12 May 2016

Police and Crime Commissioner election: detailed results

This is the breakdown of the South Wales poll according to the BBC:


I do not know Tim Davies. I know Mike Baker from his previous campaign, and from his advertisements (in the Evening Post and on the back of some buses) in this year's campaign. I know Linet Purcell from the last time I was on Neath Port Talbot Council. I would be surprised if she were recognised much outside the Neath valley. Yet she was the closest challenger to Tim Davies on first preferences and finished well in front of Mike Baker.

So the contest was decided on party lines. This is presumably what the Conservatives wanted when they introduced the PCC posts, to politicise policing. But countless US TV imports show us what can happen if we follow that path to its conclusion.



No comments: